What Writing Has Taught Me

Welcome!
Today's post is about what writing has taught me. Sounds funny, right?
I am nearing a year of focusing on my writing and have just finished a second poetry book. I am nearing completing my first fiction as well.
So in addition to learning about what it means to be an indie author I have been writing.
Why would I step back and think, what has this taught me?
Because that's how I roll.
I am wired to look within, to assess what I am getting out of something. For good or bad, this introspective girl asks questions.
So when I ask myself what I have learned, what I have gained in knowledge about myself, here is what I have found.



In writing, I like to invoke feeling and emotion.

When I look within, I know what I want to say.

Goals are important.

Being flexible is key.

I can motivate myself.

I value my writing time.

The support of others is invaluable.

I need quiet in order to write.

Patience.


These realizations did not happen in the order I listed them or all at once, just to disappear. They came as a result of writing alone for hours, during a period of time of struggle both financially and emotionally.
I kept my focus but found my motivation waning during stressful times. I had to stay encouraged, to keep myself headed in the direction of my dream.
Branching out and surrounding myself with support was so beneficial. I felt encouraged and strengthened by others during this crucial time and I will always be indebted to those who offered me words of encouragement and advice.
Finally, I can say that writing taught me that if you have a dream, you will have to work at it and for it. It will stay in your heart.
Some of the items on my list make me laugh. Others seem applicable to multiple areas of my life. I
have learned a lot about myself through just the process of deciding to write. I will carry that with me whatever life take me.
If not writing, then what was brought you a measure of growth and expansion? Would you change the path you have taken if you could?
Thanks for listening to my ramblings and musing!
Have a terrific journey!



Comments

  1. Yes Kimberly, writing teaches us so many lessons while we do it, and even when we don't. However, I disagree with what you told that,"Support of others is invaluable"! That kind support counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I meant that it is beyond measure...we cannot give it an accurate description, define it in measurable terms.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Solitude and Wisdom: poetry for now and always

Inspired Words : A Poem of Divine Assistance

Beginning a new year!