Favorites then and now

    As I was driving in my car one morning I began to remember songs that I had liked in childhood and was struck by the fact that so many of them, when I thought of the lyrics, read like a poem. Awesome that even at even at a young age something inside of me responded to poetic verse and that the radio was my first introduction to words-albeit sung and accompanied by music-  that evoked emotion. Before I read poetry I could hear a tune and I would think "oh, listen to the words of that song!"
It cannot come as a surprise, I suppose, that the longing and yearning, the push and pull of the heart, is what etched those songs into my brain. Ergo books and movies that I more than like, but love. 
 Titanic, Memoirs of a geisha, Gone With the Wind, to name a few. And books. I love books on the longer side, books that take you somewhere, someplace emotionally that changes you. Makes you think. Feel. Grow.
     I think what we enjoy says a lot about us. As we change our likes change with us, but it is true that certain key things about us will remain the same. Those key components reveal our heart, our very essence.
      I am hopeful as I venture out in my writing career that I can do exactly what those songs, books and movies did for me and still do; give an experience to the reader that causes them to feel, think, stretch and question. Perhaps then they will believe in the best being possible, in the beauty that surrounds us, in themselves and each other.  Not a bad way to be. Hey, I was just given a song...
 Imagine... Thank you, John Lennon !





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Solitude and Wisdom: poetry for now and always

Beginning a new year!

Listening to Self and Writing Poetry